sequential daze

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Has to count for something, right?

I don't know about other webcartoonists, but if they're anything like me (at least in this regard) they will care about their stats. They will care how many readers they get and how often and all that stuff. Like I say, I don't know if they do, but I know I do. Most of the time I pretend that I don't care, but really, deep down I do. And I know that because I'm always checking the page views and the Extreme Tracker stats I've stuck on my comic.

There are probably five levels of readership numbers:
  1. Stellar: so many you can't really count them; 100,000+ readers per day; eg Penny Arcade, PvP
  2. Super: high to very high; 10,000-100,000 per day; examples? I don't know!
  3. Maintaining altitude: medium to high; 1,000-10,000 per day
  4. Limping along: low to medium; 250-1,000 per day; eg my comic goes here!
  5. Hello? Hellooo? Anyone?: nothing to low; 0-250 per day; eg many webcomics

Magellan is a bit hard to judge since I have it on Graphic Smash as well as Comic Genesis but I'm guessing the fourth catagory is the best fit.

Readers come and go, I'm sure many only read in blocks (I' myself have taken to doing that now for all but my most favorite - trying to keep up with tens and tens of plot lines on a weekly basis was getting pretty difficult). So daily stats probably don't reflect true reader numbers anyway. All the same, if I could lift the readership into the third category I think I'd be a very happy webcartoonist. It should be possible, maybe that should be my mission for 2007!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • You would be surprised, although this probably is going to sound discouraging, but I remember a time when I thought that 10,000 uniques a day was the magic number where you could honestly monetize your whole site and draw a (meager) living. But Starslip is getting that daily now, and maybe it's harder to actually bring in money, as the webcomic audience is saturated with all kinds of merchandise and what-have-you. So 10,000 is not a magic "I did it, success!" milestone, at least not in terms of bringing bacon home.

    By Blogger Kris Straub, at 2:50 am  

  • Interesting. And I suppose the higher the readership the harder one has to work to keep an audience, let alone grow it or make any income from the webcomic.

    Another thing that occurs to me is that more readers will probably draw in more people who want "a piece of you" whether they're fan or foe. I can imagine both can pose their own unique problems.

    By Blogger xmung, at 6:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home