sequential daze

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Project Wonderful adverts

You might have noticed I set up a side column which contains various links and also some Project Wonderful advertising spaces. (This is seperate from the banner adverts running across the top of the Graphic Smash or Comic Genesis sites - the $$$ from those goes to the respective site hosts).

I'm not a huge fan of advertising but Project Wonderful makes it easy for other webcartoonists to advertise their comics at a "market set" rate. It also allows the person offereing the space (in this case me) the chance to make a bit of income. How much money comes in depends, usually, on how popular the comic is. Those with higher readership invariably attract a greater asking price for their site based on an ongoing bidding process.

Magellan advertising space is currently going for between 1 and 2 cents per day... that's opposed to some other comics that can net $10-20 per day per advert! It's only early days yet but hopefully it will increase to a little bit more over the coming months. I certainly don't expect to make a living off of it (although that would be nice) but any additional income is always useful.

Part of what needs to happen is for me to increase the Magellan readership. It's better than it was this time last year and the number of visitors seems to creep up a little bit each month. I'm certainly still doing this for the love not the money - but I believe Magellan is a great webcomic and that a lot more people should be reading it and enjoying it. Anyway, that's for me to think about.

In the meantime, if you do see an ad that takes your fancy - please click on it!

6 Comments:

  • Hi - I hope all the above is working out for you, you certainly deserve it.

    The last update has me very intrigued: why is Red so defensive? Kaycee's reaction to Brelvis is obvious... but why is Joe sweating like a pig? The way he's glancing backwards it certainly does not look like a simple fear of flying.

    Most intriguing. :-)

    By Anonymous jymset, at 8:25 pm  

  • I've almost made 50 cents! lol
    I can't do links in these comments, but I'll direct you to pages 4.60-4.61 (in the archive listed as "56 Ramifications") and you'll see a similar chemistry between Go! and Redd (there definitely is an issue between them...). As for Joe, check out what he says in the previous page to give you a clue as to his sudden nervousness.

    By Blogger xmung, at 10:03 pm  

  • Ha! Thanks for pointing out that Joe is merely geeking out over the 6th years. Strikes me that he doesn't have the best self-esteem, that one.

    Actually, next to Mudge, he'd probably be one of my wish-candidates to *also* get a Twitter!

    Though I'd probably use that chance to break the 4th wall and direct him to the *other* comic by my favourite web artist. It would certainly do him a lot of good - even if it just encourages him to use his powers more liberally and nothing else. :-D

    Actually, strikes me that this would be my no 1 on the wish-list: a Magellan-Bare Pit cross-over featuring Joe. And possibly Jenny and Sven. After all, both of your universes have seen inter-dimensional cross-alternate-reality travel of sorts, right?

    One can dream ;-)

    As for Justine and Annie... I dunno, that exchange in chapter 4 almost seemed like a "bonding/ staking personal claims" episode to me; nothing that would have let me guessed that there was more unfinished business.

    If anything, that exchange should have left Annie with a grudge, rather than the other way around (as it almost seems now). Ok, Annie may enjoy flustering Justine, but why whould Justine let herself be flustered so easily?

    50 cents? That's a quarter lunch for a student.....so not really a living, is it? But the whole thing is about *networking*, anyways, yeah, that's it! :-)

    Thanks as always for the time you take to answer my questions.

    Best,
    Johannes

    By Anonymous jymset, at 6:48 pm  

  • haha, 50 cents ain't great, is it? oh well! Better not order the BMW just yet.
    No cross-overs... sorry!
    As for the Annie/Justine dynamic, that's true what you say about chapter 4. But thye events of that day has left Justine a little more "no nonsense" - I'm trying to cast her a bit more as the extreme task master. Since we've only had her for 3 pages so far that's probably not all that clear yet... but should hopefully become more so.
    re: Charisma's tweets, I'm getting my mind around it. Writing as a continually snarky, egotistical and petulant teenage girl is in turns easier and harder than I might have imagined. The trick is trying to keep that going without turning everyone off thru her appalling personality and managing to inject enough humour but without making it too ridiculous. It's a total experiment which is slowly starting to take shape.

    By Blogger xmung, at 10:15 pm  

  • In all fairness: it is an absolutely hilarious read, so if it was your intention to stay this side of humour, it's not working out! :-D

    Thanks again. As always, I'm dying to see the next page.

    By Anonymous jymset, at 11:41 pm  

  • haha, well I'm certainly aiming for humour. Glad you're enjoying it. I just don't want it to decend into unfocused farce.

    By Blogger xmung, at 6:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home