sequential daze

Friday, November 16, 2007

Bad Karma - p206

Page 4.206 now online.

There's not a lot to say about this particular update - Kaycee's on the hunt for a receptacle full of water in which to place the rapidly dehydrating Vostok whilst the building shakes around her. It's worth noting though that the last several pages have been the most the story has focused on Kaycee in quite some while. Given that she hasn't been a central part of much of the narrative it doesn't seem to have diminished her overall importance within the story, at least I hope not.

Another thing to note is that, if there's any reason that this current chapter has blown out to more than 200 pages when I had originally envisaged 100, it's because of scenes like this. When I initially outlined the story, I expected the whole DragonKlaw/Miasma thing to be sorted within 20 pages of 'Future Force' (Maverick, Victory-Man, et al) appearing on the scene. That would have happened only without all the additional character moments that have developed since that point some 60 pages ago. Those moments include: Kaycee and Vostok; the slowly unravelling mystery around Maverick (future Kaycee); the introduction of second and third year cadets; Charisma's apparent 'future-shock'; etc etc. In the meantime there are also plenty of loose threads still needing to be resolved! Despite all that I don't think the story is out of control - I know pretty much where it is going and what the outcome will be... the issue is how many more pages it will take before it gets there. I decided a while ago to go with the flow and allow the mini-threads to play themselves out without indulging them and, conversely, without abruptly terminating them.

3 Comments:

  • Its ok to get over your planing in this case... we appreciate it. Imternet is the only place where you could double your space without any huge repercusion.

    Anyway I dont want to speak for the others but I like it :)

    JFP

    By Blogger Jean-Francois Poulin, at 8:01 am  

  • I think that's exactly the reason why I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) like your comic... All those small details and character development make your story much more rich

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 am  

  • thanks for the comments! I have to say writing for so many characters gives me a real thrill. my only regret is that i can't put out more pages in a week than i can currently manage - then i could probably have even more character detail! there's a lot of it that rides around in my head - some characters you've hardly even seen have back stories yet to see light on the internet. Hopefully one day they will!

    By Blogger xmung, at 8:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home